About Me

My photo
My name is Carrie Oliveira and I teach people how to improve their relationships by promoting an understanding of the link between communication and relationship quality. I know what I'm talking about because I got a spectacular education provided by brilliant people. I completed my Master of Arts in Communicology (formerly Speech) at the University of Hawaii at Manoa and my Ph.D. in Communication at Michigan State University. I love people and messages and understanding how the messages we create influence our relationships. I hope to share some of what I know with you. If you want, feel free to email me questions at ask.dr.carrie@gmail.com. Welcome to class.

Friday, February 1, 2013

Welcome to Relationship School

Relationships are profoundly influential in the lives of most human beings. We spend tremendous amounts of time wanting relationships, thinking about our relationships, cultivating the relationships we already have, trying to figure out how to initiate relationships with people we don't yet have relationships with, well . . . you get the idea.

Interestingly, though, for as much time and energy as the average person spends in the pursuit of satisfying relationships, very few people have ever been given any kind of education about how to communicate with other people in a way that promotes positive relationships. This isn't because we don't know about how communication affects relationships. In fact, the opposite is true. There are many, many scholars who have published many, many, many articles about this very thing. The trouble is, only a fraction of that research ever makes it to the masses - ordinary people who could benefit from what scholars have uncovered in their research.

That's where I come in. 

As an Assistant Professor of Communication at East Tennessee State University, my objective is to take my knowledge and understanding of academic findings and bring that information to my students in a way that is understandable and meaningful to them in order to help them build better, happier, more satisfying relationships. Now, I've started this blog to allow me to give short lessons on how communication affects relationships and allow readers to talk to me about their own relationships. It is my hope that I can provide tidbits of insight to help readers understand what effects their communication is having on their ability to form, maintain, and enjoy their relationships. 

Visit when you can. Learn what you can. Comment when you have thoughts and questions. 

Class is in session.

No comments:

Post a Comment